Tuesday, September 4, 2007

We Lost a Great One...



Today...was a very sad day for me and my family. We lost a very dear friend...a loving man...a wonderful christian being...and possibly one of the funniest men I've ever known. We went to his memorial today...it was uplifting...but so very sad...he was much, much too young and full of life to leave us...but we are; as his family is; comforted in the knowledge that we will see him again!!

I also chose to block out names and towns so as not to invade his families privacy...I went ahead and included his name b/c it has been in various medias throughout the US....he was a great football player in his day...played college and some pro...until an injury ended his football career, so the national wire picked up and reported on it...but you will see that he went on to accomplish many greater things.

To our friend...We Will Miss Him...

Thomas Allen Spinks....

Thomas Allen Spinks left this world Sunday, Aug. 26, 2007, to begin a new journey into heaven. He went to sleep, to wake no more, at his home in ****, the only way he would have wanted to go, surrounded by his family.
Memorial service: 4 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 4, at *** United Methodist Church
Memorials: The family is honoring Tommy's wish that, in lieu of flowers, donations be made to the *** United Methodist Church Building Fund, Tommy lived every day of his 58 years with intensity, generosity of spirit and unparalleled passion for his family.
Behind him, he leaves a rich legacy. He was a dreamer, who recognized his greatest dream while here on earth. He was surrounded by his family all of the days of his life. In recent years he began sharing and expanding the dreams of those he encountered.
With the creation of his national, record-breaking magazine, Millionaire Blueprints, he found an outlet to share a portion of the wisdom he had collected. His hope was to inspire others to find their ultimate success.
This was a theme for his life, looking out for others, wanting the best for others, loving others. It was always about "others" not "self," for this giant of a man. He loved his family with a ferocity and devotion that are beyond explanation. They feel his loss intensely, but are comforted with the resonance of the spirit he left behind. Forevermore will they hear his words of love, encouragement and belief that he was so diligent to spill out on those around him.
Tommy was preceded in death by his parents, the Rev. Otis and Grace Spinks.
Survivors: He leaves behind his lifelong soulmate and wife of 40 years, Barbara; his eternally devoted children, Kimberly ****(Michael) of ***, Teri ****(Kevin) of **** Jason Wesley Spinks and Lindsay (Chad) **** ; his treasured grandchildren, Stone, Sunny and Shane , Steele, Summer and Slade , Kendyl and Kade Spinks, Janna and Tyler *** and Turner ****; and his loving sisters, Peggy Spinks **** (Ed) of *** and Betty Carol Spinks***(Joey) of ***;and countless other family and friends who are hurting exquisitely right now, but find joy in the memories of this amazing, funny, compassionate, indescribable man.

7 comments:

Justabeachkat said...

What a beautiful tribute! I'll pray for all of his family and friends.

Hugs!
Kat

Lallee said...

I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend. That was a very nice tribute to him.

Terri Steffes said...

I hope some day beautiful things like this will be said about me. How wonderful!

Unknown said...

I'm sorry for your loss. It was a nice tribute. Take care

Susie Q said...

This was a lovely tribute to an obviously special man. I will keep him and his friends and family in my prayers. I only hope that people will feel this way about me when I am gone...nothing is a greater legacy.

I am so sorry for your pain sweetie...I am thinking about you.

Sending hugs,
Sue

Julie said...

What a touching post. I am sorry for your loss. I hate the part of death that means my loved one is no longer physically attainable. It leaves us with a hole in our hearts that is impossible to fill.

Kari (GrannySkywalker) said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. He was far too young to go.